Thursday, January 20, 2011

Peace

Blessed Quietness

Joys are flowing like a river,

Since the Comforter has come;

He abides with us forever,

Makes the trusting heart His home.

Blessed quietness, holy quietness,

What assurance in my soul,

On the stormy sea, He speaks peace to me,

How the billows cease to roll.

The words remind me of the Bible story of Jesus asleep in the boat while his disciples desperately tried to fight a raging storm. They had Jesus with them the whole time, but they forgot about Him. Instead of trusting, they panicked. Those fearful moments must have been horrible. But so unnecessary, because they were never in any danger since the Master was with them. His simple yet commanding words remind us of His awesome power - "Peace, be still." I love how the Bible records that immediately the wind and the waves obeyed Him. I wish I could have been there to see the change that took place - from raging tempest to beautiful calm.

photo from www.freepixels.com

No comments: